I’ve been seeing quite a lot of facebook Letters to March lately, asking it to cut it out and warm up already. It’s starting to feel a little bit like Narnia out there: It’s always winter, and never Christmas. I woke up this morning to a bright, sunny sky, and thought—foolishly—that the weather might be spring-like. Then I looked at the thermometer. 6 degrees. Fahrenheit, international people.
And that was when it hit me. This is our last stand.
Friends, this is it. This is the final hour. It is the time we show what we are truly made of. Winter will not defeat us! But we must fight it with our greatest weapon, the only thing that can dull the edge of winter’s brittle sword. We’re talking Radical Coziness.
When my dear friend, Kate Egan, moved to Maine, I asked her how she was going to stand the long winters. She told me that she liked cold, and then she said something that I still cling to on the bitterest nights: “You can never be cozy in warm weather.”
It’s time to flip the script and try some #savoring, friends. In a few months, all of that coziness will disappear. Here are ten ideas!
1. Do you have a fireplace? Light it up.
2. Snuggle onto the couch with a fuzzy blanket and a novel or magazine.
3. Cuddle someone!
4. Hot drinks are made for #savoring. Make hot chocolate. Add WAY TOO MANY marshmallows or AN EMBARRASSING AMOUNT OF WHIPPED CREAM. Try #savoring hot coffee or hot tea. You won’t even want them in July, but they’re fantastic now!
5. Go for a ten-minute walk in the cold and then admire your rosy cheeks. You look fabulous!
6. Get out that scented candle! You know, the one you’ve been saving, preferably one with a scent like, “Gingerbread Cookie,” “North Pole,” or “Winter Midnight.” It is better to light a scented candle than to curse the darkness!
7. Eat soup! Make stew! MAKE A POT PIE! Take that, Winter! My Crock Pot will bring you to your knees!
8. Get out your little fairy/ Christmas/ twinkle lights. String them around your bedroom, family room, or living room. Just one strand. Turn off the lights and light those babies up!
9. Do you have a winter craft hobby? Quilting, doll making, knitting, felting, crochet? Choose a quick project and get cracking. We only have few weeks left to enjoy our wool!
10. Don’t forget to get a last lick in on your favorite winter sport! Ice skating, cross-country skiing, downhill skiing, CURLING!
Friends, our victory is assured, but the battle rages on. It’s only a matter of time—we must simply hold our ground. We’re in this together! No more facebook letters to Winter begging for mercy! We’re #savoring!